Sunday, July 20, 2008

Local Food, Horseback Riding, and another Temple

Soy Bean Noodles


Ru Shan with Rose (Petal) Honey


Temple

Buddhists? They were chanting.

OMG soooo tiredddd today. So I'm back from China, but reality is hitting me real hard. Society can be such a bitch... anyway enough of that negative energy.

So I still want to stick to my original plan of the purpose of the blog, so I'll keep posting until I get to the end of the trip.

I tried a lot of different foods -- big portions, small portions, expensive, cheap, normal, weird, and even effing ridiculous animal insides, but overall it was really good. I only took pictures of two little street vendor "dishes" as seen in the first and second picture. The first one is a noodle salad. The noodle itself is made of soy beans, and the reason why it is yellow is that when soy beans dry, it becomes yellow. And the noodle is made from dried soy beans -- soaked, blended, simmered, and cooled to a mouth watering finish. I'm craving it as we speak... type. The toppings are chives, bean sprouts, pickled cabbage (it's kinda like kimchi), spices, chili, and the white cube is tofu (firm). Before this i would have never thought of putting tofu in my soy bean noodle... my dad knows how to make another version of it with fresh soy beans, but now I vow to try it once my dad makes it again. the picture underneath, is about a snack called Ru Shan. IT IS SOOO GOOD!!! It's like Chinese cheese... sorta because it is made out of cow milk. You know how if you heat milk or soy milk and leave it to cool for awhile, a thin layer appears on the top? well Ru Shan is basically that. Now a days, the locals put rose-petal honey on it, but i like it just by itself. I cannot even properly express my love for this... item. But be aware, quality of the milk and freshness are very important!!

So, after a quick lunch, my little nephew, aunt, and I went horse riding. It was awesome! We rode up yet another mountain. occasionally padded on the face by pine leaves and attacked by baby acorns shot from the little bratty hands of my nephew, I still enjoyed the fresh air... a sucker for O2? We then visited another Buddhist temple at the top of the mountain. although I'm not religious, I enjoy viewing Buddhist and Chinese Muslim architecture. The fun, however, did not REALLY start until the trip down hill. I still remember, the what seemed like a 45 degree down-hill slope. I was terrified when sat high up on top of an animal that I didn't really have a control of. We were going down steps, so with every step, I would plunge forward and scream out like I was going to die. It's funny in retrospect, but thanks god the horseman... how else would you call him? Anyway, he taught me a different seating position -- putting one of my hands on the back end of the saddle, lean back, and feet forward. It helped tremendously!! After about 8min of that, I was enjoying the down hill ride. By the time we got to cement ground, my cousin raced me to the stable... best run ever!

No comments: